The history of the Post-It note
3M’s post-it note has inspired many other brand alternative post-it style sticky notes The story of the invention of the Post-it note by 3M is one of the most fascinating I have heard. The project took years to complete. Two employees used their ‘discretion time’ to bring non-sticky glue and paper together to create the famous ‘Post-it’ note.
In 1964, Spence Silver, a 3M Chemist, was involved with 3M’s ‘Polymers and Adhesives’ program and his line of research led him to develop a new semi-sticky adhesive. The problem that he faced was that no one had a use for it so it. He ‘parked’ the idea as one that might come in handy in the future until another 3M employee, Arthur Fry also had a problem to solve. Fry’s problem was how to stop bookmarks falling out of Hymn Books!
10 years after Spence Silver started his work that led to semi-sticky adhesives Arthur Fry had one of those ‘light bulb’ moments. In 1974, while singing in church he pondered the problem of bookmarks falling from his hymn book. Knowing of Silver’s work, he made the connection and the Post-it note concept was born.
Silver and Fry faced many challenges. For example, how were they to keep the glue on the paper to which it was applied and how were they to coat only small strips of paper? Fry solved the latter problem in his garage where he built the prototype machine to add glue to paper in continuous strips. So, the ‘Post-it’ sticky note as we know it was born! Despite there being no existing market for these note, they nevertheless became a top seller for 3M. Since then different brands and types have proliferated with the product has being innovated many times. M&G have added a range of sticky notes to their product portfolio including some innovative lines, the M&G Transparent Sticky Notes, YS-64 and YS-94.
M&G Sticky Notes
M&G offer 8 types of sticky note:
- Standard pale yellow in 3 sizes.
- Rainbow packs in 2 sizes
- Transparent notes and flags in 3 types
Features of M&G Sticky Notes:
- Strong glue – one can re-position notes many times.
- One may write on the transparent sticky notes with ball pen and pencil (not Gel which has too slow a dry time)
- Buy packs in quantities of your choice.
- Flags for marking pages – YS-63.
- Transparent sticky notes – YS-64.
- Different shapes and colours of transparent sticky notes – YS-94
- Standard yellow notes in 3 sizes – YS-65, YS-66 and YS-142
- Rainbow packs of mixed colours in two sizes, YS-92 and YS-93
Trade buyers: Bulk packs of each available. Please call for prices.